Sunday, October 30, 2016

Thailand - Day 13

Travel day.  I had an afternoon flight, so I had time to enjoy breakfast.  Afterwards I returned to my villa to finish packing.  Just as I finished, two monkeys appeared outside.  I managed to get pictures of one of them.  On my way to check out, I saw two more.

Check out was quick, followed by a short boat ride to Kota Kinabalu.  From the boat, 20 minute car ride to the airport.  Then a 2 and half hour flight from Kota Kinabalu to Kuala Lumpur.  Then a 1 hour 15 minute flight to Phuket.  I thought immigration was relatively quick.  When I got to baggage claim, my bag was coming out.  That never happens.  I'm guessing the slight detour I made to currency exchange may have contributed to my bag arriving so quickly.  Anyway, got my bag.  Anantara had a car waiting for me as I walked out.  A 20 minute car ride later, I arrived at Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas.

On a slightly different topic, I learned something today which has annoyed me all week. When I left the Philippines to come to Malaysia, my flight path was El Nido to Manila to Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu.  It's approximately 1500 miles from Manila to Kuala Lumpur.  From Kuala Lumpur to Kota Kinabalu is about 1000 miles.  But El Nido to Kota Kinabalu is about 400 miles.  When I booked my flight, there was no option to fly El Nido to Kota Kinabalu.  (Anyone who has seen El Nido airport would understand this as reasonable.) However, there is an option to fly from Puerto Princesa (the other end of Palawan). to Kota Kinabalu.  (AirAsia) Unfortunately, it's not everyday of the week.  So if you're going from El Nido to Kota Kinabalu and can be flexible with your travel plans, play around with dates to try to get the one from Puerto Princesa... Or you can take the "scenic" route that I took.

No comments:

Post a Comment